Friday, December 17, 2010

I was Right...

...it was not an ear infection.

Monday Everett woke with a mild cough. Tuesday it was a lot worse. Tuesday night he was up all night coughing and crying. Ryan and I took 3 hour shifts with him till morning. During the night I considered taking him to the ER but called 24 hour nurses line instead. She thought it was croup. So in the morning we went to the walk-in-clinic. Unfortunately the only doctor on was one that had seen Everett previously and didn't seem to know or care much about anything.
He kind of listened to my concerns looked in Everett's ear and diagnoses him with an ear infection. Ryan was a little angry when I called him to let him know. Last time we checked an ear infection didn't cause a barking cough, and wheezing when breathing. I got the prescription filled anyway and asked the pharmacist for his opinion. His reply was, "well I guess it could be liquid in his ears draining into his throat causing him to cough. but I would have him checked again in 48 hours if it does not get better"

Since then it has gotten worse and every breath Everett took seemed mucus filled and laboured. So I decided today to take him back to a different doctor. There is a doctor at that walk in who used to be a pediatrician and he is really nice. I called to make sure he was working then took Everett to see him. The doctor took the time to listen to Everett's breathing for a few minutes. He asked me a lot of questions about his behaviour and how long he has been like this. Then he told me that Everett has Bronciolitis (RSV). http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commoninfections/a/rsv_bronchiolts.htm

He prescribed a puffer and some nasal drops to use on him. We have been using a cool water humidifier and he told us to continue that. I have also propped up one end of Everett's mattress so he is sleeping on an angle to help him breath.

Everett's Puffer

Everett is not a fan of the puffer but if I get him once he is asleep it is easy going. He also hates the nasal drops but he will have to get over that. If it gets worse he could need to be hospitalized and put on oxygen but Everett is tough so I think he will do great on his puffer.

He has not been eating much at all lately. Solid food he refuses and through the day he snacks on bottles but maybe only finishes 2 or 3 four ounce bottles. I was worried about dehydration but Ryan's mom suggested getting Pedialyte freezies. In the past he has enjoyed sucking on ice cubes so maybe he will take the pedilyte freezie. It may even help with a sore throat if he has it.

The toughest part of having a sick baby is they can't tell you where it hurts or what is wrong. Poor guy. Doctor has said to give him lots of Advil as well because the swelling can be painful. So I have taken all his advise and am praying for a better night with Everett.

I would like to add though through all of this he has still been a joy. He is more cranky, and a little dopey or out of it but that doesn't stop him from smiling at everyone he meets; especially the ladies. He keeps playing with Rawley and reaching out to Daddy when he comes home from work. He still watched the snow plow in awe and bats at his toys in his exersaucer. He really is one tough little guy

~Standing on the couch watching the snow plow~

0 comments:

 

avandia lawsuit