Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Looking for Advice

I am looking for advice...

The four month mark for Everett is next Monday. That is suppose to mean that his Colic should be tapering off or almost gone... I am not seeing the signs of that yet.

I have been reading 'Happiest Baby on the Block' (thank you Janie for the suggestion) and It says that colic or fussiness can last 4 months in a regular baby so it looks like Everett technically has another month to go if I count from his corrected age.

I am getting tired. I guess it shows when I write about my frustration and tiredness. Last night Ryan told me that he was actually concerned about me and whether I am going to snap. That really hurt my feelings but at the same time I was happy he was noticing my stress levels. Ryan really does help out a lot. Once he gets home he takes Everett. At night he spends time with Everett while I do things like cleaning, making bottles, putting away laundry. It is a huge help because those tasks become very difficult with a baby permanently attached to me. Even if he is in the snugli and I have free arms. It is difficult to bend over or reach anything directly in front of me. So I am grateful for his help.

Ryan also gets up once a night with Everett and feeds him and changes his bum. Or if it is the morning feed and Everett is really fussy he will stay up with Everett in the living room and calm him.

With this much help you would think my life would be stress-free and easy yet I am still struggling.

The 10 minute intervals of sleep is getting to me. I often find myself not consoling Everett but just sitting there with him screaming at me. I have joked about flushing him down the toilet and offered to sell him last night.....so I can see Ryan's cause for concern.

However, I know that I am not going to lose it... and if I was ever feeling like I was I would take Everett over to Ryan's mom's house or give him to Ryan (if he is home). Just to put you all at ease.

I am feeling very inadequate, tired, stupid and lost.

It is like I have totally forgotten everything about babies, my mothers instinct is blank, and I worry that if I take him back to the doctors they are going to think I am nuts.

I am looking for any advice on how to soothe him, how to help him sleep at night, books to read on raising preemies, books to read on just raising infants.

Things we have tried:
Swaddling,
Laying on Side
Shushing
Soothers,
Ovol
Gripe Water
Colic Tablets
Probiotic drops
Easy Digest Formulas
Mixture of 2 formulas
Soy Formula

I am afraid to let him, cry it out because he is so young and in pain and I want to soothe him. Even during the days now he rarely sleeps without being held. He wakes up crying and though I have left him for a while to see if he will calm himself it does not work. Much on my day is spent on the couch with Everett in my arms. I can't sleep during these times because he is fussing in his sleep and I am constantly soothing by patting his back..rubbing his back, bouncing or rocking him.

I know I am going to have to just wait it out and I know it will eventually go away..but I am looking for help on what I can do in the mean time.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Oh Tammy, I feel for you. I sometimes feel like that too with Ethan and he doesn't have colic at all. Sounds very frustrating and especially that you haven't got really any answers from the Dr's. As for advice/books...try The Fussy Baby Book by Dr.Sears...I've heard good things. Here is a link from his website on colic http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051300.asp ...as you continue reading there is a part that talks about colic lasting longer than 4 months. Something to try, a warm water bag on the bed/floor and lay Everett on his tummy...warm pressure may help? Good luck Tammy, I am thinking about you.

Tammy said...

Thanks Kendra. I have not heard of that book. I will certaibly look it up.

Mum of 3 Wise men said...

Tammy,
Lots is going on with him. Stress for one and remember he is early. Have you tried using distilled water only. Germs in the water doesn't help. Yogurt will help when he is about six months. His fussiness I believe is intestional. Even though McKenzie wasn't fussy, his guts needed to be taught. Plus, you may want to think about post partum depression. With the stress of his birth, moving, settling down... just think about it.

rachel joy said...

oh Tammy I wish there was more I could do ... have you had a chance to check out my friend's website? I told her about you and she will answer any of your questions. She really, really knows her stuff and has read all the books, talked to authors, and survived a colicky baby. It does get better! I know that doesn't help in the middle of the night with a screaming baby. Her dad is in the hospital right now so she might not get back to you right away though.
www.thefussybabysite.com

Tammy said...

rachel,
I have gone to her website and read a bite. I am just hesitant to but the $20 e-book. I don't have the $ to spend on a book I may not get to read. My time at the computer is very limited.
Tammy

 

avandia lawsuit