Monday, June 7, 2010

Must Get More Sleep

This is going to be short and sweet because I need to go to bed.

"Sleep while baby sleeps" has never meant more to me. Do I need a shower? yes. Do the dishes need to be out away? yes. Does Ryan's lunch need to be made? yes. Does the living room need to be cleaned? yes. I am going to do any of it? NO!

Everett finally came home yesterday and I could not be happier. It feels so right to have him here and we are way ahead of what doctors had told us we would be. Everett was supposed to be in the NICU until June 13th -20th. To bring him home on the 6th was a shock.

We had to run out to the stores and buy things like bottles, clothes, a mirror for the car, breast milk storage bags, vitamin d, iron.....We dropped about $150 in less than 24 hours.

Yesterday went great. We played it pretty low key. Last night was a whole other story. I am not sure if Everett was just not eating enough, if he was eating too much, not burping enough....but he did not sleep much between midnight and 8am. He grunted and groaned, curled into a ball and stretched, farted and pooped.....all night long. He seemed very uncomfortable with an upset tummy. The only thing we are doing different here than at the hospital is using Vitamin d and Iron of a different brand. I slept for maybe 2 or 3 hours but it was in 5-10 minutes doses before he would wake me up. I ended up laying beside his bassinet on the floor in the living room. By 5:30 when Ryan got up for work I was in tears and feeling hopeless.

Today went a bit better. I managed to get an hour and half sleep this morning and about 1 hour this afternoon. I have been topping him up with a bottle after breastfeeding and being very sure to get a burp out of him. He is still quite loud but seems to be sleeping a little more. I hope that carries on through the night. I don't mind getting up with him every 3 hours if i get to sleep in between.

Tomorrow I am taking him to the doctors just to have them listen to his stomach and see if they think anything is wrong.

Off to bed I go.

1 comments:

DAve and JAnie said...

Definitely a tiring transition! I hope all is fine with his tummy and health but that they do have some ideas for you.
I remember Candace always saying that the babies in NICU were used to a hospital schedule where there was no day and night. I'm not sure about your NICU but she said lights were always on, Nurses were awake all night and kept the babies on whatever schedule their health demanded and thus they often went home with family unfriendly routines and habits. I'm not sure what your nurses would say to this effect but I remember Candace always saying they took great care of the babes but they really messed up their routines and sleep which isn't natural for a family setting. I guess he is transitioning to a new environment, smells, sights, sounds, and routines too.
Hope things smooth out over the next couple of days and that those little naps become power naps for you. Fatigue is sooooo hard to live with.
Janie

 

avandia lawsuit