Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I was at the pediatrician with Everett again today. It was an appointment I made last week when Everett was having really rough nights and naps. I am glad I made it because he has had 2 really awful nights in a row again.
It just seems to be the oddest thing. Sometimes he is not even awake when he is screaming in the night. He in thrashing around and screaming then he farts a few times and calms down. Usually I can calm him by laying with him and just rocking our bodies back and forth together. This works okay for me because I usually fall asleep in between crying spouts. This does not always work though and sometimes we have to stand and walk with him or bounce him..
Anyway I am at the point of total exhaustion with him and frustration. I want sleep. I want to know that after I feed him and put him down I am going to get at least 3 hours of sleep. I told the doctor today that I had every intention of leaving Everett with him until they find a solution to this problem.
I felt like every time I went to the doctor they said, "oh well he is almost ready to grow out of it, it is just colic, give it till he is 3 months, then 4 months, then 5 months" He is now almost 6 months and the "colic" has not left.
So, today the doctor took a full history again, asked A LOT of question and came up with what he think is the answer.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
This is what he told me is happening to Everett. His bowels get sluggish and everything stops moving. When it sits idle in his bowels that creates a lot of gas.this explains the ridiculous amount of stinky farts he has. Then when the build up needs to be moved his body has to work extra hard to get everything started again. This is what causes all the cramping. Our bowels are suppose to move in a nice smooth constant motion. The doctor thinks Everett's are stop and go which can be incredibly painful.

So tomorrow he starts on some medication that will hopefully smooth out the movements in his bowels and keep everything moving at a regular pace. This should eliminate the gas pains and the cramps and help him sleep at night.

Here are some totally unrelated pictures just because...he is so darn cute.
BC Lions cutest fan, by far.

0 comments:

 

avandia lawsuit