Thursday, December 31, 2009

Baby News

*warning: contents of blog may to offensive to some*

We are currently 14 weeks and 4 days along and I don't know too much more about this little one inside of me. I have been noticing over the past few weeks that I am huge. I think I even previously mentioned it in a post. I have only gained a couple pounds but everything has shifted out front. Anyway, I also started to have dreams of twins almost every night. So I got myself all worked up. My dad is a twin so I do have a higher chance of getting twins.

I am only somewhat terrified about the possibility. I mean two babies? Can I really handle two babies?

Tuesday we had our regular doctor (actually a midwife) appointment so I brought up my concerns of my rapidly expanding belly. I told her of the history of twins in my family and she decided to measure my uterus. It was in fact quite large for how far along we are. At 14 weeks the normals size is 14cm. Anywhere from 12-16cm is considered medically normal though because of different peoples variances. I measured just over 20cm. The midwife really did not say to much about it though so I was not clear on what her thoughts were. Then she tried to find a heartbeat with her Doppler and couldn't. This to me was a little bit scary. If I was big enough to possibly have two in there or be further along how come we can't find even one heartbeat? We had also heard it previously at 10 weeks along, so why not now? I know that this can be totally normal to not hear the heartbeat at 14 weeks so I was not suppose to worry. It is my nature to worry though.

In the next few hours following the appointment I tried to find any information I could find on the Internet about carrying twins, not hearing a fetal heartbeat, other reasons to measure large. This is what I found..

I could:
~ be carrying twins
~ have excess amniotic fluid in my uterus
~ be further along then originally thought (although we should have heard a heartbeat then)
~ have a Uterine Fibroid (usually not harmful)
~ have a bigger than normal baby because of gestational diabetes
~ have a baby that is positioned higher than normal

The midwife was concerned enough to send us for an urgent ultrasound. Unfortunately because ultrasounds are so booked up we still have to wait until next Thursday to go. Until then I am trying my hardest not to worry about twins, not hearing the heartbeat or anything else.

Oh and as far as not hearing the heart beat my wonderful, loving, dimwitted husband (whom I am not currently speaking to) has reassured me that fat women sometimes can't hear a heart beat because there is just too much...well fat to listen through. Aww isn't he sweet and helpful!?

Stupid Jerk!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Addicted to Knitting said...

We are awaiting your ultrasound along with you guys. Of course we are anxious to hear the results, but like you are trying to think positively as to what the outcome will be. Beings a mom and trying to not worry just don't go hand in hand, it just seems to be a mom's job to worry. We are thinking about you and are here for you.

Sometimes males can be very insensitive and don't think before the words come out of their mouths. I am sorry you are going through this and try not to put any stock in what he said.
Love
Mom

rachel joy said...

so is tomorrow the day? I would not be able to stand waiting that long! Looking forward to an update.

 

avandia lawsuit