Monday, April 12, 2010

Adventures in Steveston

Regardless of the fact that Ryan has an awful cold and I have a cold and what is now a sinus infection....we went to Steveston Village yesterday. Really I wanted to lay in bed all day and watch tv with my eyes closed, but having done the for most the day on Saturday Rawley was climbing the walls with boredom. He was so frustrated with me on Saturday night saying, "Today was such a nice sunny day and we missed our chance to go for a bike ride".

We tried to explain to him that we are both feeling very sick, but when you are a 7 year old boy with lots of energy I don't think you care much.

I had heard that Steveston was a great place for bike riding. What I did not know was that is was a huge tourist place with lots and lots of people walking as well. I also did not know I meant to go to Grey Point Park and we ended up riding on the trails around the outskirts of town along the river. This is not the best for Rawley. Rawley is a really good rider but gets distracted easily. While riding along one of the back roads Rawley looked left and veered right. Out onto the road in front of two cars, one going either way. I always ride behind Rawley so I can keep an eye on him, but there was nothing I could do at this point but yell at him to get off the road. My heart actually stopped beating. I was so scared. The car coming towards us was far enough away but the one coming up from behind us was too close for comfort. The driver was luckily paying attention and not going that fast, but OH MY GOD RAWLEY WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Anyway, in the end we found Grey Point Park but Ralwey did not want to ride any further on the gravel and quite frankly an hour and a half of bike riding was enough for me too.

Steveston is a beautiful little village and I would love to go back one day. One day when I do not feel as though my head is exploding from a sinus infection. One day without our bikes. One day when we have more time to walk around and take it all in.

Here are some picture of our attempt at a wonderful family day that didn't quite pan out.

3 comments:

Knitting4fun said...

So thankful the driver of the car was paying attention! I love the pictures and it looks like a lovely place

Anonymous said...

What a cool place to bike ride! And what a horrifying moment when Rawley ended up in the road. I'm so glad you were writing about an accident that didn't happen, instead of one that did. Ack!

I was just reading back over your blog posts! It's been a stressful last while :(
With the post about Rawley I am shocked regarding the lack of support in the school, and the misunderstanding of adhd as behavior, when it is a DISORDER. I bet Rawley is doing his best with all his might all day long. I have nothing to offer for support or suggestions that is practical. Just that i'm with you on the frustration of the way the school is repsonding to rawley's struggles. Isolating him for 3 months? What could be possible learn from that? How will that help him find constructive ways of regulating his mind and body (regulating, like getting it to pay attention when it needs to...) I haven't worked closley with alot of families with adhd, but I do know we had a source book in our program that we gave support workers to look at for info. I'm going to look through there and see if it might be worthwhile. Does the school have occupational therapists available for supporting students? They often find practical ways to help kids brains and bodies pay focus by giving their bodies little tools, like ummm, exercise balls to sit on, fiddle toys, sucking sticks (like how I have to chew gum to relax some times.. the sucking reflex helps some kids brains to relax and listen) even different colored glasses help some kids read when they can't keep focused on the paper and things move around and their eyes jump. Anyway, I've been part of occupational therapist presentations. I know in Winnipeg the schools have them, but it's so different everywhere.
Does Pat know what might be different in coming to school here next year? At least there is some hope in a change of schools, province, funding for EA's in the classroom, etc...
I will get back to you about any info I can muster up though. I know you have done lots of research, it's evident through your understanding and care for him. Your patience is amazing. Not that it doesn't get lost, but that your focus is on understanding what his experience of life is, and trying to help him through that. He is lucky to have such an involved, thoughtful parent who knows how to use her voice to speak up for him!

Hope the sinus infection clears up. You've just been stricken with every painful head thing you can be this pregnancy!

Janie

Tammy said...

Janie,
I would love any ideas you can find. The school has no one avialble to help Rawley. I have called the school board as well but with the growing number of kids with ADHD, he would end up in the 500s on the list of kids they help and they only get to a handful of kids a year. The teachers are just saying he is too smart to qualify for any assistance at all. Next year while on mat leave I hope to have more time to hlep out at school and be more involved with ideas or aid in the class.
It is frustrating because his teacher is okay with him standing at his desk, but his principle says "no he must sit all day like the rest fo the kids", so his options for calming or soothing himself are limited.
Thanks for the encouragment. I certainly don't feel like i am doing a good job sometimes when I spend most of the evening yelling and disaplining.

 

avandia lawsuit