Thursday, March 18, 2010

Quality Time in the Kitchen

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that Rawley loves to help in the kitchen but sadly I usually don't have the patience or time to deal with his help. I decided last night that I needed to make the time and force myself to have the patience for him to help. It is a great way to spend time together and he loves it.

So last night while Ryan was doing man things like playing tools and taking out the garbage Rawley and I made Grandma Pats' Potato Soup & her Banana Bread. He turned on some tunes and hung out for an hour and a half in the kitchen together.

~I peeled the potatoes & Rawley did the carrots~

~He even helped with cutting~



While the veggies were all cooking for the soup we started our Banana Bread. I always make the bread from frozen bananas. This is because there is always that lone banana that becomes too ripe and no one wants to eat it anymore.. so into the freezer it goes. I am sure I have more bananas than food in there so it was high time I actually made the bread. Sometimes I forget to take the bananas out early enough or I decide to do it on a whim and peeling frozen bananas is nearly impossible. So yesterday I ran them under hot waters for a minute and then it was super easy. It made them soft enough that the peel just came off right away. I said to Rawley, "They should give you that tip in the recipe books" and he got all excited and decided WE should write it in a recipe books and make money.

~mushing up the eggs, butter & Bananas with my Pastry blender~

~Stirring the batter~

Now that the bread was in the oven it was time to blend the veggies into a wonderful soup puree. When I brought out the machine Rawley was totally gung-ho to use it. Then he actually used it and decided that he did not want to do it anymore. He didn't like the vibrations it was putting in his arm.

~Finished products~

The soup was done with enough time for Rawley to try a bit before bed and he approved. The banana bread took a little longer so he has a banana bread muffin in his lunch. I have soup for lunch today and cannot wait until noon... Mmmmmm.
Then it will be Potato soup for dinner before Rawley heads off to Auntie Merry & Uncle Dustin's and Ryan & I head out to the Reba concert!

4 comments:

Knitting4fun said...

Rawley,
It looks like you had a lot of fun helping mom in the kitchen. Your potato soup looks yummy! Maybe when Grandpa and I are there you could help make a big pot of soup to take to your Grandma and Grandpa's house for lunch! When you are moved to Manitoba do you think Mom and Dad might let you come to Grandma's house and help bake cookies?

Tammy said...

Rawley said,
"Sure I'[ll help bake cookies!!!"

Leah Schouten said...

I love this so much! He is SUCH a cute lil' chef!

Tammy said...

Thanks Leah,
If I were a more relaxed, planned person he would get more chances to help out.

 

avandia lawsuit